The name of a virtual reality-based MUCK system currently in both research and development. (shameless plug: http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~joshagam/Solace).

The name is case-sensitive. When written as "Solace," it refers to the system as a whole, whereas when written as "SOLACE," it refers to the client, and is short for Stratified/ONSET Labrynthine Actively-Computed Environment. ONSET is the server part.

Derives its name from Webster, first definition, second sense.

SOLACE has the following features:

  • Realtime reflections and shadows
  • Progressive, continuous level of detail
  • Streaming mesh and texture downloads with progressive refinement
  • Efficient, wavelet-compressed meshes and textures which achieve file sizes as low as 3.5 bytes per polygon (average) and texture compression with ratios as high as 150:1 (lossless best-case, average-case for the lossless CODEC is around 1.8:1 unfortunately)
  • Portal-based dynamic visibility

Sol"ace (?), n. [OF. solas, ssoulaz, L. solacium, solatium, fr. solari to comfort, console. Cf. Console, v. t.]

1.

Comfort in grief; alleviation of grief or anxiety; also, that which relieves in distress; that which cheers or consoles; relief.

In business of mirth and of solace. Chaucer.

The proper solaces of age are not music and compliments, but wisdom and devotion. Rambler.

2.

Rest; relaxation; ease.

[Obs.]

To make his steed some solace. Chaucer.

Syn. -- Comfort; consolation; alleviation; relief.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sol"ace, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Solaced (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Solacing (?).] [OF. solacier, soulacier, F. solacier, LL. solatiare. See Solace, n.]

1.

To cheer in grief or under calamity; to comfort; to relieve in affliction, solitude, or discomfort; to console; -- applied to persons; as, to solace one with the hope of future reward.

2.

To allay; to assuage; to soothe; as, to solace grief.

Syn. -- To comfort; assuage; allay. See Comfort.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sol"ace, v. i.

To take comfort; to be cheered.

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.