This is a dish that I have not found, to date, in any cookbook or really anything like it online. It was the brainchild of me being hungry and having pork chops but not wanting to eat them just skillet-fried because I was bored of those. This is based, very loosely, on a dish I've eaten while out on the town, or at least my attempt to recreate the flavor. I was highly pleased with how it turned out, enough so that even though it's "my own" I wanted to share.

It turns out with a nice, light fruity flavor, actually by the end more plum than strawberry, but it tastes very nice and classy for so little effort. Please do let me know if you try this, I'd love to hear if you were as pleased with it as I was.

Do note all ingredient measures are rough, and can be modified "to taste" at will.)

Also do note: the sauce does make enough you could easily do 4 or 6 chops, but my skillet will only hold 2 at a time with all the sauce


Start with 2 good-sized, thick, bone-in pork chops.

Melt 1/4 stick (1/8 cup) stick butter or stick cooking margarine in a large skillet. Once sizzling, lightly brown pork chops, 1-2 minutes on each side until surface is a pale color all over.

Return chops to original side and add to skillet:
  • 1/2 stick additional butter. (1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, sprinkled over the chops
  • 3/4 cup seedless strawberry jelly
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar (I used rice vinegar for tartness with minimal flavor)

Your sauce should cover at least halfway up the side of the chop. If this is not the case, either add water, or more proportionally of each ingredient until it's that high. The closer to the top of the chop the sauce is, the moister and more tender the pork turns out because it absorbs more liquid and dries out less.

Once sauce is melted and mixed fully, simmer on medium to medium-high, covered, for 10-12 minutes, flipping chops and spooning sauce over them every 2-3 minutes.

With 5-6 minutes of the 10 remaining (so that each side gets the additional flavor once), add 1/2 cup white zinfandel to the sauce, stir well, cover and finish heating.

Spoon a couple spoonfuls of sauce over the top when serving.
I served this with Roasted Rosemary Potatoes and boiled cabbage in lots of butter on the side. Probably would also go well with brown sugar carrots or any other pork-friendly side.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.