Atari 2600 Game
Produced by:
Atari
Model Number: CX2641
Rarity: 2 Common
Year of Release: 1977
Programmer: Alan Miller

A game for the Atari 2600 in which two players control blocks that constantly move around on a grid, leaving deadly trails behind them. The goal is to make your opponent run into a trail first, typically by walling them into a small space. It was one of the more enjoyable two-player games for the system. The Surround cartridge also included a freeform draw mode, called "Video Graffiti," in which the player could use the same user interface to just doodle on the screen.

These days, people seem to generally refer to Surround's play mechanic as Tron, due to Tron's lightcycle scene. But Surround is the original that the lightcycles were based on. (Tron was released in 1982.)

Sur*round" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Surrounded; p. pr. & vb. n. Surrounding.] [OF. suronder to overflow, LL. superundare; fr. L. super over + undare to rise in waves, overflow, fr. unda wave. The English sense is due to the influence of E. round. See Super-, and Undulate, and cf. Abound.]

1.

To inclose on all sides; to encompass; to environ.

2.

To lie or be on all sides of; to encircle; as, a wall surrounds the city.

But could instead, and ever-during dark Surrounds me. Milton.

3.

To pass around; to travel about; to circumnavigate; as, to surround the world.

[Obs.]

Fuller.

4. Mil.

To inclose, as a body of troops, between hostile forces, so as to cut off means of communication or retreat; to invest, as a city.

Syn. -- To encompass; encircle; environ; invest; hem in; fence about.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sur*round", n.

A method of hunting some animals, as the buffalo, by surrounding a herd, and driving them over a precipice, into a ravine, etc.

[U.S.]

Baird.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.