1977 was the title of Ash's debut album, 'cos it was the year Tim Wheeler and Mark Hamilton were born. (Also the year Charlotte Hatherley was born, but she didn't join Ash until a few years later...). See Ash for the full track listing.

IMHO, it's a pretty mixed album, mixing the band's Sonic Youth obsessions (Innocent Smile, Let It Flow), their earlier punk-pop stuff (Girl From Mars, Kung Fu) and their pure guitar-pop (Goldfinger, Oh Yeah) tracks. Produced by Owen Morris, which made some of the songs sound a bit too much like Oasis.


In addition to the Ash album, 1977 was the year Elvis Presley died on a toilet in Gracelands; the year punk broke in the UK (most British punk bands released debut albums, singles or both); Star Wars was released; and Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her Silver Jubilee, prompting the Sex Pistols' God Save The Queen; it officially only made no. 2 in the UK charts, but everybody knew it had sold enough to make no. 1.


Also a song by the Clash:

In 1977 i hope i go to heaven
Cos i been too long on the dole
And i can't work at all

Danger stranger
You better paint your face
No Elvis, Beatles, or The Rolling Stones
In 1977

In 1977
Knives in west 11
Lent so lucky to be rich
Sten guns in Knightsbridge

Danger stranger
You better paint your face
No Elvis, Beatles, or The Rolling Stones
In 1977

In 1977
You're on the never never
You think it can't go on forever
But the papers say it's better
I don't care 'cos i'm not all there
No Elvis, Beatles or The Rolling Stones

In 1977
Sod the jubilee
In 1978
In 1979
Stayed in bed
In 1980
In 1981
The toilet don't work
In 1982
In 1983
Here come the police
In 1984

Mick Jones/Joe Strummer

First released as the B-Side of the White Riot single, now available on Super Black Market Clash and the Clash On Broadway box set.


1977 was also the year I was born.....

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.