Submariner slang for an oceangoing ship that is not a submarine. Usually heard in the form of the phrase 'there are two kinds of ships, submarines and targets'.

A Word Puzzle where you have to form words from letters in a three by three grid of letters. The puzzle is syndicated to various Australian newspapers and appears on the comics or crossword pages.

The rules as stated: How many words of four letters or more can you make from those shown here? Each letter may be used once per word. Each word must contain the center letter and there must be at least one nine-letter word. No pluras ending in 's'; no foreign words; no proper names. Source: Chambers 21st century dictionary.

The name Target refers to the amount of words to try and accomplish, ie "Today's target: 17 words good; 24 words, very good; 34 words; excellent".

There is a Linux computer game with similar rules based on this game called Nineword. http://www.adelaide.net.au/~philaw/nineword.html

In my opinion Target is far superior to all other discount stores such as Wal-Mart and of course K-Mart, because of the quality of the merchandise, all the special lines such as Michael Graves and Mossimo, and most of the time they include a Starbucks. The only problem with Target is that it is scarce in the deep south where southerners (like myself) consider visiting the store a special treat or occasion. With that being said, below is the more serious information.


The History of Target Corporation

George Dayton opened his first store named Goodfellows in downtown Minneapolis in 1902. In the next year the store's name is changed to Dayton Dry Goods Company. The store continued to be a success. In 1910, the store changed its name again to The Dayton Company. Around 1945, The Dayton Company that began a policy that gave back 5% profits to the community. 1956 marks the year that The Dayton Company opens the first fully enclosed mall called Southdale in suburban Minneapolis. In 1962, The Dayton Company launches a new store called Target that ushers in a new era of discount stores. The Dayton Corporation (TGT) is established in 1967, and sells its first public offering of stock.

In 1969, Dayton Corporation and J.L. Hudson Company form a merger and the Dayton Hudson Corporation is formed. Mervyns is acquired in 1978, and the Dayton Hudson Corporation becomes the 7th largest retailer in the United States, and by this time produced over 1 million dollars of revenue. Ten years later Dayton Hudson Corp. decides to combine Dayton's and Hudson's to form Dayton Hudson Department Store. Marshall Fields becomes part of the Dayton Hudson family in 1990.

Four years later Bob Ulrich, the CEO of Target becomes the CEO of Dayton Hudson Corporation as well. The following year Dayton Hudson Corp. introduces the first Target Discount Store credit card named the Target Guest Card, opens the first Target Superstores, and renames Mervyns to Mervyns's California. 1997 brought more expansion including the addition of Rivertown Trading Company and Associated Merchandising Corporation and Dayton Hudson Corporation incorporates "cross country discounting," which means any Dayton Hudson Corporation employee can receive discounts at any Dayton Hudson's owned store. The latest news the name change of Dayton Hudson Corporation to the Target Corporation in 2000. Today the Target Corporation produces over 30 million dollars of revenue each year.

Target Charity Programs
  • Target will give back 2 million dollars a week to the communities that they serve.
  • Target House: Target House provides free housing for families of children who recieve cancer treatments at St. Jude. Target House housing is much like apartments, unlike hotel rooms like Ronald McDonald House.
  • School Wish List: This allows schools to fill out a gift registry and customers can buy gifts for the schools off of the registry.
  • Start Something: This program is aimed at children from 8 to 17, and helps children find what occupation they would like to achieve. Personally I think children should go to school councelors instead of Target to figure out their life goals, but thats just me.

Awards Recieved by Target Corporation (2001-2002)
  • Top 50 Company on the Fortune 500
  • Recognized by Forbes Magazine
  • Second most admired merchandizer by Fortune Magazine
  • Bob Ulrich (Target Corp. CEO) named to Worth's Top 50 CEO list
  • Training Magazine recognizes Target Corp. is top in training among companies
  • Working Mother's Magazine rates Target Corp. as a top workplace for women
  • Business Ethics Magazine rates Target Corp. as 52nd on the 100 Best Corporate Citizens list
Contact Target Corporation
Target Corporation
1000 Nicollet Mall
Mineapolis, MN 55403
Phone: (612) 304-6073

http://targetcorp.com
http://target.com

Tar"get (?), n. [OF. targette, dim. of OF. & F. targe, of Teutonic origin; cf. AS. targe, OD. targie, G. zarge a frame, case, border, OHG. zarga, Icel. targa shield.]

1.

A kind of small shield or buckler, used as a defensive weapon in war.

2.

(a)

A butt or mark to shoot at, as for practice, or to test the accuracy of a firearm, or the force of a projectile.

(b)

The pattern or arrangement of a series of hits made by a marksman on a butt or mark; as, he made a good target.

3. (Surveying)

The sliding crosspiece, or vane, on a leveling staff.

4. (Railroad)

A conspicuous disk attached to a switch lever to show its position, or for use as a signal.

 

© Webster 1913


Tar"get (?), n.

1.

A thin cut; a slice; specif., of lamb, a piece consisting of the neck and breast joints. [Eng.]

2.

A tassel or pendent; also, a shred; tatter. [Obs. Scot.]

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.