A workstation used to remotely access a server. A terminal can be a vt-term, such as a vt-100 or vt-220, or increasingly a graphical X-terminal.

One can also find bus terminals and other such stations of mass transit.

An airport building from which airplanes depart and arrive. Large airports usually have more than one of these.

In transformation rules, a symbol which cannot be further transformed, because it is not on the left side of any rule.

Ter"mi*nal (-nal), a. [L. terminals: cf. F. terminal. See Term, n.]

1.

Of or pertaining to the end or extremity; forming the extremity; as, a terminal edge.

2. (Bot.)

Growing at the end of a branch or stem; terminating; as, a terminal bud, flower, or spike.

Terminal moraine. See the Note under Moraine. --
Terminal statue. See Terminus, n., 2 and 3. --
Terminal velocity.
(a) The velocity acquired at the end of a body's motion.
(b) The limit toward which the velocity of a body approaches, as of a body falling through the air.

 

© Webster 1913


Ter"mi*nal, n.

1.

That which terminates or ends; termination; extremity.

2. (Eccl.)

Either of the ends of the conducting circuit of an electrical apparatus, as an inductorium, dynamo, or electric motor, usually provided with binding screws for the attachment of wires by which a current may be conveyed into or from the machine; a pole.

 

© Webster 1913


Ter"mi*nal (?), a. (Railroads)

Pertaining to a railroad terminal; connected with the receipt or delivery of freight; as, terminal charges.

 

© Webster 1913


Ter"mi*nal, n. (Railroads)

(a)

The end of a line of railroad, with the switches, stations, sheds, and other appliances pertaining thereto.

(b)

Any station for the delivery or receipt of freight lying too far from the main line to be served by mere sidings.

(c)

A rate charged on all freight, independent of the distance, and supposed to cover the expenses of station service, as distinct from mileage rate, generally proportionate to the distance and intended to cover movement expenses; a terminal charge.

(d)

A town lying at the end of a railroad; -- more properly called a terminus.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.