Recently a new business buzzword, and also a desired future for many people.

I like to be connected. Many people don't, but I will ignore them for a moment. I enjoy knowing that my wife and kids can contact me at a moments notice. I like having a work related cell phone - while it does tend to disrupt me at odd times, it allows me more freedom and ability to prioritize my work, and react more quickly to situations which may otherwise get out of control. I like being well connected.

Ubiquitous communications are a big field today. The ability to contact another person at any time regardless of where you two are located is a holy grail for many people.

The cell phone is an example of such a system right now. While the saturation hasn't reached 100% by any system of measure, you can roughly gurantee cell phone connectivity anyplace there is a low to medium to large concentration of people.

What I'd really like, though, is ubiquitous information access. My laptop is redundant. All of the information on it is also located at home and at work. 90% of what I use it for is information retrieval and storage.

If I could have a device tailored to information transmission and reception, I could remove 90% of the weight, increase 90% of the usage time before recharging, and essentially carry terabytes of information with me.

Ubiquitous, at its foundation, is everything, everywhere. You can keep your experts in Hell, Michigan, your information in three data centers around the world, you could bounce between Fiji and London depending on the weather, and do all of your work without considering the time or place you happen to be in.

It makes the world smaller in terms of communication, and larger in terms of ability to relocate.

Then I'll be ubiquitous.

U*biq"ui*tous (?), a. [See Ubiquity.]

Existing or being everywhere, or in all places, at the same time; omnipresent.

-- U*biq"ui*tous*ly, adv.

In this sense is he ubiquitous.
R. D. Hitchcock.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.