The via positiva in mysticism is called the cataphatic:

Cataphatic -- Derivation: Gr kata, down + phanai, say, assert Definition: in the mystical tradition, the way of "affirmation": associating with God terms about which we have solid understanding in our this-worldly experience, terms we apply first to this-worldly things, but whose signifying core we attribute to God as well; an analogical naming of God. The "positive" way, the via positiva.

This is basically saying "God is this..." and "God is this..."

See also, via negativa.
the other side of the coin in negative thoelogy, the via positiva in mysticism is called the cataphatic:

Cataphatic Derivation: Gr kata, down + phanai, say, assert Definition: in the mystical tradition, the way of "affirmation": associating with God terms about which we have solid understanding in our this-worldly experience, terms we apply first to this-worldly things, but whose signifying core we attribute to God as well; an analogical naming of God. The "positive" way, the via positiva.

This is the path which says "God is this..." and attempts to see the unity of God with everything.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.