WARM
Rich, in good circumstances. To warm, or give a man a warming; to beat him. See CHAFED.

The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.

"Warm!!" cries out Fluffy, the newly bought blanket, soft and thick. "I will keep you warm!!"

As he is thrown on the bed, spread from corner to corner, every corner of the bed he pledges to keep warm.

In the chill of the Winter night, you pull him slightly closer and he joyously assures you, "I will keep you warm."

As winter breaks into Spring you mumble in your sleep that perhaps it is a bit too warm.... But all Fluffy hears is "warm...."

Clearly, Fluffy concludes, you want him to warm you more, and so he will keep you, warmer and warmer.

But Fluffy does not know that his role passes with the seasons.

And as the Springtime takes its full turn, Fluffy finds himself taken from the bed.

He is folded neatly by halves and in quarters until he is a thick, neatly stacked square.

Dropped in the linen closet atop old folded sheets, there to stay until Winter's next bite.

Surveying his new surroundings, Fluffy whispers down to the sheets below, "I will keep you warm."

Warm (?), a. [Compar. Warmer; superl. Warmest.] [AS. wearm; akin to OS., OFries., D., & G. warm, Icel. varmr, Sw. & Dan. varm, Goth. warmjan to warm; probably akin to Lith. virti to cook, boil; or perhaps to Skr. gharma heat, OL. formus warm. , .]

1.

Having heat in a moderate degree; not cold as, warm milk.

"Whose blood is warm within."

Shak.

Warm and still is the summer night. Longfellow.

2.

Having a sensation of heat, esp. of gentle heat; glowing.

3.

Subject to heat; having prevalence of heat, or little or no cold weather; as, the warm climate of Egypt.

4.

Fig.: Not cool, indifferent, lukewarm, or the like, in spirit or temper; zealous; ardent; fervent; excited; sprightly; irritable; excitable.

Mirth, and youth, and warm desire! Milton.

Each warm wish springs mutual from the heart. Pope.

They say he's warm man and does not care to be mad mouths at. Addison.

I had been none of the warmest of partisans. Hawthor.

5.

Violent; vehement; furious; excited; passionate; as, a warm contest; a warm debate.

Welcome, daylight; we shall have warm work on't. Dryden.

6.

Being well off as to property, or in good circumstances; forehanded; rich.

[Colloq.]

Warm householders, every one of them. W. Irving.

You shall have a draft upon him, payable at sight: and let me tell you he as warm a man as any within five miles round him. Goldsmith.

7.

In children's games, being near the object sought for; hence, being close to the discovery of some person, thing, or fact concealed.

[Colloq.]

Here, indeed, young Mr. Dowse was getting "warm," children say at blindman's buff. Black.

8. Paint.

Having yellow or red for a basis, or in their composition; -- said of colors, and opposed to cold which is of blue and its compounds.

Syn. -- Ardent; zealous; fervent; glowing; enthusiastic; cordial; keen; violent; furious; hot.

 

© Webster 1913.


Warm, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Warmed (); p. pr. & vb. n. Warming.] [AS. wearmian. See Warm, a.]

1.

To communicate a moderate degree of heat to; to render warm; to supply or furnish heat to; as, a stove warms an apartment.

Then shall it [an ash tree] be for a man to burn; for he will take thereof and warm himself. Isa. xliv 15

Enough to warm, but not enough to burn. Longfellow.

2.

To make engaged or earnest; to interest; to engage; to excite ardor or zeal; to enliven.

I formerly warmed my head with reading controversial writings. Pope.

Bright hopes, that erst bosom warmed. Keble.

 

© Webster 1913.


Warm (?), v. i. [AS. wearmian.]

1.

To become warm, or moderately heated; as, the earth soon warms in a clear day summer.

There shall not be a coal to warm at. Isa. xlvii. 14.

2.

To become ardent or animated; as, the speake warms as he proceeds.

 

© Webster 1913.


Warm, n.

The act of warming, or the state of being warmed; a warming; a heating.

[Colloq.]

Dickens.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.