I know I tell you guys that all this stuff is good. But this one is really, really good.

This is different from any other frosting I make, in that it includes eggs and requires a hell of a lot of whipping. These factors produce a lovely, creamy, custard-like effect. When chilled, it firms into a texture exactly like the frosting on Pepperidge Farm frozen cakes, which is awesome.

Because it calls for bittersweet chocolate rather than unsweetened, and because it incorporates air, this has a mild, sweet, and much more of a milk than dark flavor (for dark, try this).

Makes enough to frost and fill a 3-layer cake (about 8 cups).


ingredients:

  • 12 oz (340g) bittersweet chocolate (semisweet will do in a pinch)

  • 2 cups (4 sticks / 16 oz / 450g) butter, salted or unsalted, room temperature
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon (0.2 oz / 4g) vanilla extract

  • ~4 cups (~17 oz / ~500g) powdered confectioner's sugar, measured and then sifted

  • 2 eggs

procedure:

Melt chocolate (carefully; see note below) and set aside to cool a bit.

Using a whisk attachment if you have one, whip the butter, salt, and vanilla until very light and fluffy (about 4 minutes).

Add the sugar gradually while beating on low speed. When it's fully mixed in, increase speed to medium and mix for about 4 minutes more.

Add the eggs one at a time, and beat for 4 minutes more.

Add the melted chocolate, and beat for 4 minutes.

Taste, and add more vanilla and/or salt if you think it needs it. You can add more sugar, or a bit of milk, if the consistency seems way off.

Use right away, or at room temperature.


notes:

You have to sift the sugar, really.

Semisweet chocolate, including chocolate chips as long as they're legit and not the weird "chocolate-flavored" waxy ones, can be substituted. The flavor will be a little different but close enough.

Melt chocolate in the microwave if you have to, but optimally on a stovetop over the lowest heat. Stir frequently, be a little paranoid, don't let one drop of water get in there, don't let it burn.

Sorry about the raw eggs, but they make the texture wonderful. I suppose you could use some sort of pasteurized substitute, but I have no experience with that.

Because of the eggs, this won't last as long as other frostings - perhaps a week, refrigerated. It may separate a bit when brought back to room temp - just stir thoroughly. But this is really best when made on the day you're going to use it.

As always, I'd love to hear about it if you try this.

Photo here.


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.