寄倒

Kimarite (sumo winning technique)

Yoritaoshi is a frontal crush-out technique ("yori" is "to push opponent with the body" and "taoshi" is "to make opponent fall onto his back or side"). The winner will force the loser backwards out of the dohyo (ring) until he falls, while holding on to his mawashi. The winner can have an outside grip in the mawashi (his arms go on the outside of the opponent's arms restraining them), or an inside grip - and he will most likely fall on top of the loser.

The winner must maintain the grip on his opponent's mawashi all the time. If he does not, it will be oshitaoshi (frontal push down) or maybe tsukitaoshi (frontal thrust down). These are techniques where the loser is pushed or forced down, but where the winner does not hold on to the mawashi in the process.

Yoritaoshi can be an intended yorikiri, which is a frontal force out. The difference between the two lies solely in the fact that with yoritaoshi the loser falls on his way out of the dohyo - with yorikiri the loser leaves the ring without falling ("kiri" is "pushing out of the dohyo").

Yoritaoshi cannot be said to be a favourite kimarite of any one sumotori (sumo wrestler) as it depends more or less on the loser and whether or not he falls. There is a tendency, though, to see yoritaoshi (and yorikiri) more frequently with wrestlers who rely on force rather than technique (oshi-zumo as opposed to yotsu-zumo).

Of 1729 bouts in the Makuuchi division, 70 (4,05%) were won by yoritaoshi.1


Back to the kimarite menu


  1. Statistics from the March, May, July, September, and November Basho, 2005, and the January Basho, 2006.
My sources are www.scgroup.com/sumo and www.sumo.or.jp/eng/index.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.