Honda have released the new model for the Civic, and with it is a new Civic type R to head the model range. Using a 2000cc DOHC i-VTEC developing 197bhp at 7,400rpm it goes like stink. It covers 0-62mph in 6.4 seconds and has a top speed of 146mph. It also has 145lb-ft of torque at 5,900rpm. This means that it has better performance than the car it replaces - the Integera Type-R.

Mated to the engine is a close ratio 6 speed box, with the gearing set up for performance - you wouldn't want to cruise the motorway in 6th for any length of time.

Even with the performance it still manages to return a combined cycle fuel consumption of 31.7mpg.

The suspension is also tuned for performance - struts front and back and a very ridgid body shell mean that the car goes round corners like it's on rails.

The steering is, for want of a better term (or the correct name they use), drive by wire... There is no mechanical link from the steering wheel to the wheels. This means that the steering is very responsive, VERY responsive. There is also no play in the system, while still allowing the perfect amount of feedback.

The car offers very few options - front fog lamps and side skirts are about all you can get. Honda feels that others, such as sunroofs and A/C would detract from the experience.

This car is amazing to drive, almost like a go-kart in steering and throttle response. I only wish i could afford one... They cost £16995