user since
Tue Jun 26 2001 at 23:59:37 (22.8 years ago )
last seen
Mon Jul 10 2006 at 22:07:51 (17.8 years ago )
number of write-ups
10 - View Amarcord's writeups (feed)
level / experience
1 (Novice) / 253
specialties
Mindlessly repeating
motto
"Walking on water wasn't built in a day."
most recent writeup
HMHVV
Send private message to Amarcord

Throwing down your sword is also an art of war. If you have attained mastery of swordlessness, you will never be without a sword. The opponent's sword is your sword. This is acting at the vanguard of the moment.

"Swordlessness" doesn't necessarily mean that you have to take the opponent's sword. It also doesn't mean that you make a show of sword-snatching for your reputation. It is the swordless art of not getting killed when you have no sword.

The basic intention is nothing like deliberately setting out to snatch a sword.

It is not a matter of insistently trying to wrest away what is being deliberately kept from your grasp. Not to grasp (the opponent's) attempt to keep hold (of the sword) is also "swordlessness." Someone who is intent on not having (his sword) taken away forgets what he's opposed to and just tries to avoid having (his sword) taken away, so he can't manage to kill anyone.

Swordlessness is not the art of taking another's sword. Its purpose is to use all tools freely. If you are even able to take away another's sword when you are unarmed, and make it your own, then what will not be useful in your hands?

Yagyü Munenori