Northern Lights is a terrific fantasy book written in 1995 by British novelist Philip Pullman aimed at children but can be enjoyed by all. It should be enjoyed by Harry Potter fans, but it is darker and has greater depth and charm. In America it was published as The Golden Compass (more and less by accident) but you can find more informative write-ups here.


Northern Lights is also a traditional song known to generations of Aberdonians. Generally sung either when approaching Aberdeen and the first lights of the city can be seen when returning from the south, or when two or more Aberdonians are out drinking anywhere else.

Here are the words...

When I was a lad, a tiny wee lad, my mother said to me,
"Come see the Northern Lights my boy, they're bright as they can be."
She called them the heavenly dancers, merry dancers in the sky,
I'll never forget that wonderful sight, they made the heavens bright.

chorus:
The Northern Lights of Aberdeen are what I long to see
I've been a wand'rer all of my life and many a sight I've seen.
God speed the day when I'm on my way to my home in Aberdeen.

I've wandered in many far-off lands, and travelled many a mile,
I've missed the folk I've cherished most, the joy of a friendly smile.
It warms up the heart of the wand'rer the clasp of a welcoming hand.
To greet me when I return, home to my native land.