The mod scene, and thus Quadrophenia, had another revival in the UK in the mid 90's, thanks to men's magazines such as FHM and Loaded pushing sharp suits and the whole new lad mentality.

Lots of people bought/rented the film, watched it, then went away thinking "Mods are cool" and started scouring boutiques for sharp suits and charity shops for Crombies.

In reality, this is not the message the film tries to give at all. Jimmy says he became a mod to "Be someone different", but as the film goes on he realises, with the aid of drink, blues and psychosis, that the mods are all the bloody same. They don't have minds of their own, they follow the hive mind of peer pressure, which Jimmy is sucked into to the point of helping beat up a childhood friend just because he's a rocker.

Eventually, Jimmy goes crazy, achieves a bizzare form of individuality, then symbolically chooses life over being a mod. The final scene is, like the one in Thelma & Louise, much loved and much parodied. The central theme is still valid today - how many Goths or Punkers got into the scene because they wanted to be someone different?

It's a good film, but it's a shame that most people leave it thinking that suits are cool, and rockers should be beaten up.