Sodomy is living proof that nice little thing known as Separation of Church and State is worded to only apply in one direction. Judeo-Christian beliefs can and DO make the laws.

Referring to the sex acts that typically fall under the category of sodomy as sodomy tends to criminalize them in the minds of most. Problem is... err... just about everything everybody has done or will do falls under the category of sodomy.

Sodomy is named after the Biblical Sodom and Gomorrah, more specifically the "deviant" sexual practices within.

If I recall correctly, the problem with Sodom and Gomorrah was that they were full of nasty people, not that they had alternative sexual positions and acts.

I hardly think most people consider anal and oral sex criminal acts... unless said people are followers of fundmentalist dogma and it's gay men doing it, in which case sodomy becomes a convenient way to put "people like that" in jail.

Let's face it, the term "sodomy" and the laws written concerning it is the major way people of alternative sexual practices are prosecuted/persecuted.

Thankfully, at least where I live the last of the laws are being overturned. I hear we're a bit behind the times when it comes to that.