My own research into many sites, information is pieced together

Also called facial palsy, this is a disorder involving sudden facial drooping and decreased ability to move the face. It is caused by damage to cranial nerve VII. Bell's palsy is an acute form of cranial mononeuropathy VII and is the most common form of this type of nerve damage (peripheral neuropathy). Statistics indicate that the disorder affects approximately 2 out of 10,000 people, however, the actual incidence is likely to be much higher (around 1 out of 500 to 1,000). The disorder is a mononeuropathy (involvement of a single nerve) that damages the 7th cranial (facial) nerve, the nerve that controls movement of the muscles of the face. The cause is unknown. In some cases, the disorder is presumed to be associated with inflammation of the facial nerve where it travels through the bones of the skull. It may also be caused by head injury, tumor, hypertension, or infarction.

Symptoms

  • Pain behind or in front of the ear
  • May precede weakness of facial muscles by 1-2 days
  • Impairment of taste
  • Sensitivity to sound
  • Headache
  • Face feels stiff
  • Face feels pulled to one side
  • Difficulty with eating and drinking
  • Change in facial appearance
  • Facial droop
  • Difficulty with facial expressions, grimacing
  • Facial paralysis of one side of the face
  • Difficulty with fine facial movements
  • Drooling

    In many cases, no treatment is necessary. The goal of treatment is to relieve the symptoms. Corticosteroids may reduce swelling and relieve pressure on the facial nerve for some persons. Corticosteroids must be given early to be most effective; preferably within 24 hours of the onset of paralysis. Lubricating eye drops or eye ointments may be recommended to protect the eye if it cannot be closed completely. The eye may need to be patched during sleep to protect it. Surgical procedures to decompress the facial nerve have not been shown to routinely benefit people with Bell's palsy.

    The outcome varies. Approximately 60% to 80% of cases resolve completely within a few weeks to months. Some cases result in permanent changes. The disorder is not a threat to life.