1. What is your name? 

My name (or one of my many names, to be precise) is tubular.

I took this name from my favourite level of the 1990 platforming video game Super Mario World. It was the second level in the double-secret world hidden within the secret world, and it is my understanding that many consider it to be the weirdest and most infuriatingly different level of the game. *performs a curtsy* 

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately? 

I am a mathematician, by necessity: it was the only thing that I could stand to do that other people consider work. I used to be a programmer, and on some level I am a teacher, but I feel as though I subclassed into those.

Lately, as I have always been, I am a collector and connoisseur of obscure hobbies and communities. I am compelled to seek out niches and, if not join them, then at least lurk them and learn what they are about. I have amassed a list of acronyms for the places and things I've participated in—SMWC, IRC, BP, CoI, TAS, ZI, D&D, TVT, YTP, E2, GEB, J, PPCG, C&O URA, PMC, CSC, DDRC, FGC, FiM, SFG, OTG, HHH, LGBTQ+, OW, H&S, MKDD, PdP/TA, SR.C, H/E8, CC, MPPTP—and it fills me with innumerable emotions to think about them all: the people I met, the marks I left, the marks that were left on me. 

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder? 

I'm not going to claim my memory is so good that I remember how it happened, but in all likelihood I was in high school, looking for information to consume and things to occupy my time. One way or another I followed a link into Everything2, like an adventurer traversing a forest and accidentally falling into a vast and ancient crypt. And it took me some time to light a torch and look around and get my bearings, but eventually, my brain came to realize with how this website was structured (I won't insult your intelligence by explaining it to you; how about you tell me first, and I'll tell you if you're right or not?) and what treasures it must have contained. Needless to say I was hooked. 

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders? 

I have almost 600 bookmarks in my homenode and 60 C!'s given out. Maybe that's not a lot to some of you, but it's a lot to me, and apparently it is a lot for whatever poor query E2 has chugging along building my homenode from the mess of bookmarks in its DB. And even with that in mind, it is but a fraction of the good nodes and writeups on E2. So under no circumstances should the following list be considered exhaustive or comprehensive... But here are my endorsements for today:

- Fine Structure by sam512
- There's a void in your eyes that only you cannot see by Zephronias
- I want you in my mouth by lovejoyman
- Time travel in Looper by sam512
- How to buy drugs in an open-air market by wick
- How to comfort someone whose parent has died by Lucy-S
- The Cold Vein by narzos
- Why fucking cows is a bad idea by psydereal

And, of those writeups that were my fault:

- Diana, Clairvoyant Numerologist
- A Few More Translation Exercises
- Pure Math Club
- the title is an obscure reference to a thing, i am actually a guy
- elegaic

I'm not sorry about the recency bias. In fact, having looked at all my older nodes, I would like to disavow almost everything from before 2016, especially the math nodes, because now that I am educated, the sciolism and ineptitude of my past self makes me feel a little nauseous. 

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history? 

I was not there for the era in which E2 had history—I still consider myself a recurring background character in what I guess is a television series analogy for this website—but I will speak to my own posthistorical memories of E2. My favourite memories are the chats, both about Everything2 and everything else, that I've had with other people in the catbox and PMs. I was not fully grown up when those chats occurred so they shaped my brain chemistry, and I rather like who I turned into so that is probably your fault (you know who you are).

My least favourite memories were probably the aches and pains of doing IRON NODER 2012. Maybe that is a very un-E2 thing to say, but I am too uncreative and perfectionist and up my own ass to be a volume writer. I don't regret finishing it but I would probably have extremely regretted doing it if I didn't manage to finish. 

6. What keeps you coming back (or not coming back, as the case may be)? 

I don't know! I have had long stretches of inactivity. In my mind I am an outsider. By all rights I should have moved on, and in many ways I have. But I still feel like I kind of grew up here, and as a result there is a part of me that never left, that I am inexorably drawn to. 

7. What do you hope for E2's future? 

When I found E2, I read a Decaversary Interview and was inspired by the idea of sticking around long enough and contributing enough to earn one of my own. That might've even been the specific thought that got me to sign up. My hope for E2 is that someone new reads my Decaversary Interview and feels even a fraction of the same inspiration; and then someone even newer reads their Decaversary Interview. 

8. What does E2 mean to you? 

E2 is a social media platform that did it before it was cool. It is one possible sketch of what the world might look like if every written work was hyperlinked together, like Wikipedia minus the encyclopedia. 

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most? 

I feel like it is weird to pick favourite noders, because noders are people and it's weird to me to have a list of favourite people. But the question demands an answer, so I will let some statistics do my work for me: the noder whose words I have read the most of is sam512; the noder who I have written the most words to is RedOmega; and the noder whose work I have written the most about is David A. Madore, as far as I can tell. Make of that what you will. 

10. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie? 

Realistically? Jason Greene. Ideally? Danny DeVito. 

11. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world." 

The public library in my hometown. 

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've? 

What did E2 teach you about yourself? Is there anything you would rather not have learned?

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact tubular or Jet-Poop.