I have a tab addiction when it comes to web surfing. I normally have somewhere between forty and ninety tabs open at a time and I suffer the corresponding issues of dealing with random slow downs which have been getting progressively worse as my laptop ages. My go to solution is to open task manager and kill the browser once it gets above two gigabytes. This has the advantage of keeping my tabs intact while decreasing the memory consumption and associated performance problems. I recently purchased a new battery for it since it started telling me to replace my battery about six months ago and stays on for somewhere between five and ten minutes when charged. My new battery is a bigger model with a six to eight hour life with the screen at a low brightness. Until, yesterday all was well ... then disaster struck.

Firefox got a major update and it changed all of my settings. This wasn't horrible though it did change a bunch of my settings which I had to back and fix. I'm distractable without you suggesting irrelevant news stories with catchy titles to me every time I open a blank tab, Mozilla, I don't need you adding to it. So, even after fixing the settings the GUI is still slightly different which is slightly infuriating but I can handle change ... not gracefully but ... Anyway, I pick up my laptop to put it on my lap and accidentally disconnect the power cord in the process because it no longer fits in the plug after somebody knocked it off a table ... and it dies! I hit the power button because the battery is new and it starts booting only to give me a blue screen ... but not of death. After a half-hour windows restore got me back to functionality. Interestingly, it had removed the Firefox update with the system restore.

All of that was yesterday. Today I repeated the whole debacle except for the half-hour long windows repair part which shortens rebooting by around 96%. Then I got the Firefox update again. Grumble grumble mutter, fine whatever I decide to test if the dying occurred when it was in sleep mode. Close clam shell lid, wait for it to go into sleep mode, unplug, and ... the light is still blinking ... that's promising. I open it up and it starts rebooting. Well, fiddlesticks. At least I know ... No... it's the blue screen again ... but that only happened the one time. I thought that was one of those one off, cosmic ray strike errors ... what changed? It-

...

THE FIREFOX UPDATE!

The update was removed when it finally got back up and Firefox is no longer allowed to update. Bad canine, no update for you! No idea if it's the actual culprit or how a browser update could prevent my computer from booting up but if my laptop is going to spend a half-hour on booting up I'm not inclined to test it again tonight. More news, as it appears and assuming I can still get on the internet. Cheers and happy noding.

IRON NODER X: XTREME XCELLENCE