user since
Wed Dec 31 2008 at 22:37:45 (15.3 years ago )
last seen
Fri Sep 19 2014 at 22:42:14 (9.6 years ago )
number of write-ups
32 - View EnochRoot's writeups (feed)
level / experience
5 (Crafter) / 1545
C!s spent
3
mission drive within everything
To improve my communication skills and learn from others' writing
specialties
Water and wastewater engineering, construction, cooking
school/company
Engineering consultant, primarily with ARCADIS in Greenville, sC
motto
Learn from everything
most recent writeup
The Road to Omaha 2009 - Week 2
Send private message to EnochRoot

I welcome constructive criticism of any of my write-ups. Please let me know if you spot any spelling or grammatical errors. I especially want to be informed of factual errors. /msg me.


annola says: What a terrifically interesting life you've led! Welcome!


Born August 17,1949 in Columbia, South Carolina, USA

Raised on an agricultural experiment station where my father was a research engineer. I was exposed to the cultural dichotomy of a highly educated research staff and a very poorly educated worker staff, while having the run of 3000 acres of mainly wooded farmland, all in rural South Carolina in the 1950's and 60's. There's a lot more to be said about that, and I hope to get around to it.

Graduated from Blackville (SC) High School in 1967, 3rd in a class of 44.

Received an appointment to the US Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1967, but "resigned" after my plebe (freshman) year due to a difference of opinion on the management style of the Academy. It turns out I'm not very good at taking deliberately demeaning orders from people I have no respect for.

Volunteered for the draft in 1968 and was inducted into the Army. I signed up for a third year immediately in order to get my choice of training - electronics - and avoid the infantry. Basic training and electronics training at the signal school at Fort Gordon in Augusta, Ga. Posted to Bien Hoa, Vietnam 1969-1970, then Heidelberg, Germany until I got out in 1971.

Spent the remainder of 1971 until September of 1973 roaming around Europe with a home base at the "World Commune" as we called it near Ghent, Belgium.

Attended Clemson University 1974-1978, graduating with a BS in Civil Engineering in May of 1978.

More later on my work life and experiences since then.

User Bookmarks:

Sort by name Sort by date