t things such as field length.

So nate was sitting there, programing this happy place. And he had to put in a new text field, for entering a node name for creating a node. (I don't know perl, so I'm writing the equivalent in Java). And to create a text field you should specify a field length. So he did: 100. What the heck. Hmm... and now I'm stuck with a node title too long for the field.

This problem is actually quite a serious one, and is taken very lightheadedly. This is because when you write a computer program, your primary intent is to make sure it WORKS. So you just arbitrarily decide on these kind of things (also things such as port numbers, and window sizes, and a myriad other things). And then, when it works, there are the arbitrarily decided variables, still there. And they are forgotten, because, hey, it works.

And then the user interface sucks. And then you get wasted memory. And then you get null pointer exceptions, because you tested it on simple, short examples.

Although the node title is slightly humorous (blame nate), this is quite a serious problem, which many programmers ignore. So (programming hint): next time you arbitrarily chose something, write it down. When the program is done and functional, check the list, and rechoose the values, not arbitrarily.

P.S. I'm not dissing the programmers of E2 for this. (The GUI here is fine, I haven't seen too many bugs...) All programmers make arbitrary choices. This was theirs. And that's fine.