Dear Anne,

This morning there was a knock at the door. An old woman with a big basket of doilies told me she was a real Romani gypsy. I bought one of her "handmade" doilies and she let me make a snapshot of her. A little while later, I heard a hand bell clanging. It was being rung by a man standing the back of a lorrie riding slowly down the street with a stenciled sign across the side, "Scrap Metal Wanted." I think they and the old woman are Travellers.

How have you been? I haven't heard from you since two weeks ago. It's not a long time, but it seems like a long time.

A flautist and pianist performed at the museum last week. Much better than last time, except a couple brought their 2-year-old who was a little distracting. Why do they think this is a good idea, to bring their babies to concerts and movies? Anyway, it was wonderful music: "Six Pieces" by Fikret Amirov (German and Russian influences), "Sonata" by Erwin Schuloff, and "In Ireland" by Hamilton Harty (very Celtic-folk).

Things have been bleak at work. I'm not happy with my current digs either. I have one more year, but before long I may have to decide whether to stay three more after that. I would rather plan my escape, as you often say. You made your last one just seven months ago, remember?

Hoping to hear from you sooner or later,

T. B. F.