I just spent 24hrs picking a desktop image after a forced reinstall of every piece of software I use.

It used to be that I had a picture of the Assasin character from Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo 2 game. It was actually from the Battle.net1 website and I had modified it a little bit and organised my icons around it. As I said I used to have it as my desktop image.

The forced reinstall was after a long running battle with various complaints my system threw at me, and as such, it spent a lot of time in a computer store in a busy local shopping centre. I remembered to hide the links to the various sections of my harddrive that I wouldn't want easy public access to, I remembered to remove the cd I would normally have left in the drive and I even remembered to disconnect the T-piece and the cable from my DVD decoder card to my soundcard.. But I didn't remove the desktop image of the half-naked assasin with the flaming wristblades.

The cheeky grin on the shop assistant show was the first sign that something was up when I went back later that day..

"People kept asking us about your background picture, everyone wanted to know where to get it."

Beware the Perils of Picking a Desktop Image


1. http://www.battle.net/images/battle/diablo2exp/images/ass/assassinfull.jpg