This on is an odd one to place.

I found this at the Dollar Tree. Comic book adjacent stuff (such as coloring books) is easy to find at the Dollar Tree, and sometimes there are graphic novels of indie comics, but this looked like a large, but oversized comic. I opened it up, and indeed, that was what it was. After reading it, I am still unsure of its pedigree, since it has credited information from Marvel, a group called Panini who all have Italian names, and also Disney Publishing Worldwide, and despite the obsessive documentation that exists by comic book fans online, I don't have much information about Spider-Man magazine. Apparently it is a magazine for younger readers, with simplified Spider-Man stories.

It was written by Brian Smith, who has some credits with Marvel, and Ron Lim who is a very good, very experienced Marvel artist, who was the artist for the Silver Surfer and the Infinity War in the 1990s. So this is well-established talent writing this story. The main story, told in two parts, totaling 11 pages, is about how Spider-Man is investigating airline cargo thefts, which turn out to be the work of The Vulture. The two have an action- and witticism- packed fight in mid-air, after which Spider-Man turns over the captured Vulture to the authorities. At one point, Spider-Man mentions living with his aunt, so I assume this is outside of continuity, and probably has a somewhat simplified and child-friendly version of Peter Parker's labyrinthine personal life, because the kids who buy this probably don't want to read three pages of Peter whining about dropping out of grad school before getting to the mid-air explosions. So while this story is somewhat simplified, it is still a real Spider-Man story, written and drawn by top talent.

The middle 12 pages of Spider-Man magazine is the type of puzzles that are found in children's activity books. There is a maze and spot-the-difference and a matching game. Other than the spot-the-difference game, all of this was a bit below my interest level.

So, if you have read this far, I am going to say that this is more about a single issue of Spider Man Magazine I bought from The Dollar Tree. This is about comic book marketing in general. Nowadays, or at least pre-pandemic, Marvel has made movies that were the top-grossing movies in history. Wide audiences go and see comic book movies and dicuss them and the Marvel universe has permeated popular culture. And yet, comic books themselves are rare, and expensive and usually only bought in specialty shops by collectors. And yet, when I was a child, when comic book movies were only a gleam in Stan Lee's eyes, it was totally normal to have a rack of comic books in a small town grocery store. That is how I started reading comic books. And yet today, we can't have that.

To paraphrase Thomas Marshall, what this country needs is a one dollar Spider-Man comic book. Maybe shorten the middle "puzzle" section, or replace it with back-up material (which Marvel has an 80 year vault of) or a pin-up or two, make the main story a bit more involved and mature (but still not continuity-heavy or angsty), and put a one dollar Spider-Man comic in every grocery store and mini-market. I miss cheap comic books being a normal part of life, and this issue of Spider-Man magazine, purchased at The Dollar tree, and full of mid-air punching matches between Spider-Man and The Vulture, shows that it is not an impossible dream.