Young Men, where they fit in
The Young Mens organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is organized to support the activities and teaching of the 12 through 18 year old boys. Its primary purpose is furthering the work of the Aaronic Priesthood. It is carried out through Sunday Priesthood Lessons, Sunday Evening Discussions, Youth Conferences, Weekday Evening Scouting Activities, and monthly weekend camping activities. Activities include but are not limited to service projects, sports, scout camp, skills training, and joint young men/young women activities. Much of the planning for activities is done by the young men themselves.

The Young Mens organization began in 1875 with the formation as the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association. The YMMIA was established by President Brigham Young, who called Junius F Wellto organize associations throughout the wards. It was intended that YMMIA help young men develop spiritually and intellectually and provide supervised recreational opportunities. In 1972 the organization was changed to the Aaronic Priesthood-MIA placing more emphasis on the priesthood and the role of local leaders. In 1974 the name was shortened to Aaronic Priesthood and the organization fell under the supervision of the Presiding Bishopric. Three years later in 1977 it again changed its name this time to its current title of the Young Men and a general presidency was re-instated.

The Young Men's organization is presided over world wide by the Young Men's General Presidency consisting of a president and two counselors. They work under the direction of the Quorum of the Twelve Aposles and the First Presidency. Since October 1979 the presidency has been called from among the Quorums of the Seventy.

Since the Young Men's organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was formally organized in 1875 there have been eighteen presidents (superintendents prior to 1972) including the present incumbent.

Book concerning this topic: Young Mens Mutual Activities - Written by Blair and Tristan Tolman (Legacy Book Publishing).