adapted from Wil Huygen's Gnomes

Woodland Gnome
The woodland, or forest gnome is probably the most common type, however this is difficult to verify as he dislikes being seen by humans and has many escape routes. His physical appearance resembles that of an ordinary gnome.

Dune Gnome
A fraction larger than the woodland gnome, he also avoids contact with man. Another distinguishing feature is the drabness of his clothing. The female of this gnome type wears khaki coloured rather than grey clothing.

Garden Gnome
Belonging to the common type, the garden gnome lives in old gardens, even those hemmed in between the new houses of modern cities. If he begins to feel too closed in, he simply goes to the woods, although his learned nature tends to make him feel out of place there. He is more somber than most, and enjoys telling melancholy tales

House Gnome
Resembling an ordinary gnome, he has the most knowledge of mankind. He speaks and understands human language and often inhabits historic old houses, thus he has seen both rich and poor, and heard a great deal. House gnomes are good natured, fond of a joke or tease, but never malevolent. The few exceptions to this rule are due to bad genes resulting from crossbreeding, with truly wicked gnomes occurring only once in a thousand.

Gnome kings are chosen from the house gnome family.

Farm Gnome
The farm gnome resembles the house gnome but has a more constant nature and is more conservative in all matters.

Siberian Gnome
The Siberian Gnome has been most affected by crossbreeding. He stands centimetres larger than the European type and freely associates with trolls. He takes revenge for even the slightest offense by killing cattle, causing bad harvests, droughts and abnormally cold weather.