It was 3 o'clock in the morning and I had just finished watching some old movie. I got up off the couch and went downstairs to the kitchen where I put the "Cambridge Singers - Christmas Day in the Morning" cd in the stereo and turned it on. On the table some bills were lying around, looking abandoned, so I sat down and began the ardous task of straightening them out. After a while I realised the cat was standing by the door and wanted to get out. I went over to it and opened the door, outside it was snowing. Since this was the first real snow of the season I felt that I had to go out and see it.

So I put on some gloves, a bonnet and a scarf and went out in to the cold. The light from the house lit up a small space where millions of snowflakes were falling. Nothing could be heard but the sound of snow and wind rustling the trees. Whenever it snows the sound of things changes, like they have been muted. I got of the porch and started walking the 30 or so meters down to the road where a streetlight was illuminating a cone of floating snow. As I got there I looked up towards the sky and saw nothing but snow. When I looked down again I saw that the cat had followed me making tiny pawmarks in the snow next to my shoeprints. She walked up to me and started rubbing herself against my leg so I brushed to snow out of her fur and picked her up

And then we stood there in the falling snow, watching the snowflakes and feeling happy. It was beautiful. Soon enough the cold started seeping through my clothes so I put her down and we both ran for the house. As I got there I almost didn't want to go back in, I didn't want to lose the wonderfull feeling I had. But the cat really wanted to so we did and just as I went through the door I could hear that the cd in the stereo was just about to reach its crescendo. I got of my shoes and gloves as fast as possible and rushed into the kitchen just as it peaked in a massive outburst of joy and beauty. I couldn't help but cry, it so perfectly matched the feeling I had just experienced. As I sat down by the table I realised I had a big smile on my face that just wouldn't go away, it felt great.