The Society for Creative Anachronisms is about many things. It’s about fighting, it’s about cooking, it’s about flirting, but most of all it’s about fighting. But it’s also about dancing. For many people, dancing is the best part of the SCA, and it’s the reason they drive all over the country wearing fancy clothing. And of the dancing events, Crystal Ball is the best.

Held early in November every year in the barony of Shattered Crystal, just outside of St. Louis, Crystal Ball is about dancing, dancing, and more dancing. It starts early in the morning with dance classes, continues through the afternoon with more dance classes, and finishes up in the evening with a ball that lasts from 8pm until people can no longer dance. This usually occurs about 5 minutes before the people who own the building kick us out.

Crystal Ball features many different styles of dances; dances for couples, dances for the whole family, and dances that are certain to cause death or severe maiming.

If you are interested in the SCA or just love dancing, Crystal Ball is a great way to spend a weekend. You learn something new, meet someone new, and discover that you can, in fact, continue dancing even after your feet launch an armed revolt and demand you stop. And if you do go, look for me. I’ll be the large, semi-coordinated guy stepping on your toes.