*** SPOILER ALERT ***
*** SPOILER ALERT ***


Much has been said regarding the relative merits of "American Beauty" from a cinematic perspective. "American Beauty" was a polarizing film in my social circle. The first level of polarization was "loved it" vs. "hated it." This was not surprising as, the movie was definitely pushing buttons left and right.

What was more interesting was the wide variety of emotional states described by the "loved it" crowd (which includes myself) after Lester's execution. The "This is Your Life" post-mortem segment seemed to engender very different feelings among my friends.

One camp felt that the juxtaposition of the heartwarming (please note that the customary sarcasm that attends this word is not intended here) review of the joys of Lester's life with his untimely death was too much of a taunting jibe reminding us and him of the paradise that was lost.

The other camp felt that Lester's realization that his life was already redolent of rose petals and other precious flowers was an experience that transcended the tragedy of his death.

There were a few ambivalent squatters between the two camps that couldn't decide if the key were major or minor, feeling tugs in both directions.

This dichotomy has, for us, spawned more discussion of "American Beauty" than any plot point or character development alone.