I'm not actually sure how things go for large secular schools, but both of the small Christian colleges I went to had it like the plague.

The "I must marry before graduating, or I shall surely die" syndrome is a symptom of what I speak of. And indeed, if you wrestled them to the ground so that you could pry up their feet, there, stamped in the plastic mold of their G.I. footsies was the expiration date they would surely reach if...

Well, it certainly seemed that way. Never mind the hoard of people who got married right out of High School.

And how many of them are divorced 1 - 5 years later?

"We just stopped loving each other". "We found other interests". "He wasn't into lesbian watersports with younger ostriches".

The fact is that between the ages of 18 and 25, as puberty finally wears off and we all find out what a terrible tragedy the working world truly is, most people change. Drastically.

Yet it's in this age that the lemming rush for marriage, for financial and emotional security, truly takes place in.

And I watch these happy, beaming, velcro couples, who are making a supposed life long commitment based on emotion and the need for a family to replace the one they just moved out on, and I shudder.

This is not to say that I am the proponent of the Borg of Marriage, and that logic should rule all things...just that a commitment between two mature individual based not on desire, but on an actual congruity and fit between two very individual personalities would seem to be a good idea.

Finding somebody who complements you, who you can continue to work with and live with even when, emotionally, you aren't connected, would seem to be a must...but it's rare these days that this is actually sought.

It's that whole "I'd marry a pretty stranger, but I'd never date a friend" syndrome that seems to be ruling the world, quite honestly.

Most psychologists agree that people these days aren't truly "adults" (in terms of emotions, adjustment to the world, etc.) until they're 25 - 27, based not only on a short-term fulfillment aimed, youth oriented culture, but also on older generations who no longer have any interest in mentoring or leading the younger generations forward... because it reminds them of how old they're getting.

I know that my parents met when they were about 25, and married when they were 27. And then my father immediately went off and got stationed in the Philipines for a year and a half (he was in Air Force logistics). But they've been together going on 30 years now. Not with a lot of complimentary interests, so far as I can tell (though they work on it)...but because they fit each other. They compliment each other. They work well together, even during the tough times. Maybe especially then, somehow.

Mind you, I also know a fair number of couples who got married straight out of college...and they're solid, loving, complementary couples who will likely be together until the Hitchhiker's Guide Movie reaches the big screen and Judgement Day arrives...but they're somehow the minority in what I see around me.

There are always exceptions. There always couples who made it against all odds. But that seems, somehow, to be a growing difference in society, rather than the norm.