If I remember one thing from my film classes at Junior College, it was the statement regarding the general difference between American and European movies. European movies tend to ask you: "2 plus 2?" Maybe giving a subtle hint of "almost three", or "not twelve", whereas American movies would go "FOUR, FOUR, FOUR!". I like that analogy, and Vanilla Sky fits it perfectly.

I enjoy intellectually stimulating flicks, not to say i don't like a good world war 2 movie, but an action film purely devoid of intra-cranial simuli would make me cringe in my seat. Vanilla Sky did a good job of making me think as well as feel. I loved the first scene when Tom Cruise finds himself alone in Manhattan, and accompanied by a delicious soundtrack is searching through the usually busy streets. Then, a moment later when he is awake, and back in the crowded streets - the contrast, you can taste it.

I heard several comments along the line of "It was confusing" or "I think that the director had scenes at random to add to the clutter and make you confused." I too, felt the movie confusing, but the confusion was part of it. If you let the confusion carry you through the movie - and you accept it as a vital part of the flick, you would enjoy it so much more.

One thing that greatly lessened my attraction to the movie came at the end. All of a sudded i realized that I had indeed seen this movie before, only then Arnold Schwartzenegger was starring, and I think Sharon Stone was our leading lady instead of Cameron Diaz. I believe it was Total Recall. And then having the whole plot slapped in my face by Noah Taylor screaming "FOUR, FOUR, FOUR." felt dumbifying, however much i enjoyed the revealed plot (which seemed to be none of our explicit business up until now).

As far as the love story goes, I did not surprise myself by being a blunt oaf. Because all I saw at the amorous level of the movie was a player, who was looking for the next piece of fresh meat. So maybe i need to be convinced that love at first sight does exist after all.

In all a tantalizing artwork, maybe not a big-screener - more of a renter perhaps - but if you are like me, and don't think twice about moseying down to the theatre for any little piece of moving imagery, go see it. Indeed.