Tae Kwon Do is a very impressive looking martial art. Its tendency towards kicks over other strikes is largely due to the fact that it was created as a martial art to be used by soldiers, whose hands would be full, with a spear or other weapon in one, and a shield in another. Kicks look cool, and a lot of kicks in rapid succession look even cooler.

It is this coolness however that has rapidly become Tae Kwon Do's downfall. People want to do things that look cool, and the cooler something looks, the more they'll want to do it. This is a bad thing for Tae Kwon Do as a whole, for various reasons. The first reason is that people who choose a martial art solely on its appearance are not the sort of people you want passing the martial art on to future generations. These people will concentrate on improving the superficial areas of it, at the expense of discipline and functionality. Due to its sudden rise in popularity in recent years, Tae Kwon Do has drifted steadily away from the realm of martial arts, becoming more a sport than anything else. A cool looking and athletic sport, but a sport nonetheless. You have black belt tests as spectator events, tournament sparring requiring kicks to specific targets, and serious gaps in all around combat ability. Most practitioners of Tae Kwon Do that I have sparred with have had serious problems dealing with things like sweeps, punches, and blocks.

I don't doubt that there is still true, more or less uncorrupted Tae Kwon Do out there. Its just not nearly as prevalent as the mainstream bastardization that is becoming an Olympic sport.