Evolution is a movie dirrected by Ivan Reitman released on June 8, 2001. It stars David Duchovny, Julianne Moore, Orlando Jones, Seann William Scott, and Sarah Silverman.

The gist of the movie is that a meteor, carrying alien organisms hits the New Mexico desert. The aliens multiply and evolve at an alarmingly fast rate threatening to take over the world. A community college science professor (Duchovny), his eccentric geologist buddy (Jones), a wannabe fireman (Scott) and a government scientist (Moore) are brought together to deal with the invasion.

The movie is pretty stupid and I had recieved it as a joke from my brother, since I'm obsessed with the X-files (which costars Duchovny).

However, I did enjoy it. It is one of those movies that is so stupid, it's just worth watching. And they do make it funny without being annoying about it, which I'm impressed with. The dialogue is lacking a lot, but there are some great moments stuck in there.

I am a freshman bio major at Cornell University and am taking the typical intro bio class. So the evolutionary talk in the movie was familiar and I was impressed with the interesting facts they stuck in. For example, following the evolutionary trends of the alien, they talked about unicellular to multicellular organisms, even evolving to flatworms (platyhelmenthes).

So, go ahead and watch it. You'll come away saying what a stupid movie, but with a smile on your face. And at the end, isn't that the most important part?