Flubber (1997) is a remake of the movie The Absent-Minded Professor (1961) starring Robin Williams and Marcia Gay Harden. The movie follows the crazy adventures of Professor Phillip Brainard who creates a weird goo called flubber that has special properties.

Flubber is a polymer that is also a superconductor at room temperature. It is composed of Buckyballs with some atoms inside. The internal energy levels are carefully arranged so that the substance has many metastable states. Flubber is bright green, translucent and very very bouncy.

Apparently the name of the goo came from combining the two words flying and rubber to make flubber, but I can't help noticing it's resemblance to the verb flub. Flub means to botch or bungle, which makes sense, because the professor in the movie discovered the substance in a botched experiment.

For those who loved stuffed toys, there is a flubber stuffed toy available. It even giggles and shakes like the flubber in the movie when you squeeze it. A word of warning though -- do not go to sleep with one on the bed unless you enjoy waking up to high-pitched giggling and shaking. And evil looks from your bed mate.

Flubber (1997)
Starring: Robin Williams, Marcia Gay Harden
Director: Les Mayfield
Producer: Ricardo Mestres, John Hughes
Score: Danny Elfman
Runtime: 93 minutes
MPAA Rating: PG
Genres: Comedy, Family, Kids, Sci-Fi/Fantasy