Err, well, I have absolutely no idea what the writeup above mine was saying.

According to the Philosophy 101 class I took last semester, anything question that absolutely positively CANNOT be answered for sure by any mortal means is in the realm of philosophy (although, interestingly, all great philosophers by definition think they have all the answers).


What is the color of my hair?
--not philosophy, experience/fact based

Why do I have brown hair?
--not philosophy, answerable via genetics

Why do I have hair?
--not philosophy, since hair is an evolutionary trait to deal with the cold

Why do I prefer to comb my hair to the left?
--philosophy


Why? Because preference is a personal taste, and personal tastes cannot really be logically defined--you simply have them. You can say "I prefer to comb my hair to the left because I think I look good that way", but that doesn't really get you any mileage because the new, identical (philosophically identical, that is) question is, "Why do I think I look good with my hair parted to the left?"

The philosophical answers, depending on which philosophers you listen to, might be:

A) God wants me to like my hair parted to the left.
B) Me liking my hair parted to the left is completely random, and is only up to me (free will, sorta).
C) I like having my hair parted to the left because I am the sum of my experiences, and my particular experiences lead to me liking my hair parted left.
D) LIttle mice, in actuality the smartest beings on earth, demanded that I part my hair to the left..
E) Any, all, or none of the above.

And, as always, your mileage may vary.