Loughborough?

Loughborough is a medium-sized market town in the United Kingdom. The town has a population of approximately 60,000, of which 20,000 are students, academics and researchers based at the university. Local amenities include East Midlands Airport, the Grand Central Railway and the world famous Grand Union Canal. Loughborough is centrally placed between the cities of Derby, Nottingham and Leicester.

The University

There have been colleges in Loughborough since the early 1900s, and the largest of these was granted University status in 1966. Under the leadership of Dr. Herbert Schofield (Principal 1915 – 1950), the University became the first nationally recognised University of Technology.

Today, the university remains highly acclaimed for in engineering excellence, featuring specialists in aeronautical, mechanical, chemical, systems and civil engineering. These achievements have been dwarfed to some extent in recent years by the athletic success of the University. Any prospective Loughborough student cannot fail to be reminded that the University has won the British University Sports Association (BUSA) championship for the past 25 years in the female competition and the past 23 years in the men’s section. In addition, Loughborough continues to produce world renowned sportsmen and women, the most famous past student being Paula Radcliff, Britain’s legendary middle and long distance runner.

The campus now boasts a number of sporting facilities including:

  • English Cricket Board Centre of Excellence
  • National Tennis and Badminton Excellence Centre
  • High Performance Athletics Training Centre
  • Olympic swimming pool

  • Although sports and engineering dominate the university’s makeup, almost all course types are represented, including the sciences, the arts and social sciences. The university is working hard to establish a reputation for excellence in business, and has invested heavily in a new business research facility.

    Awards the university has received

  • In 1994, the award was for the University's work with the aeronautical and automotive industries
  • In 1998, for development and water engineering in developing countries working with aid agencies
  • In 2000, for pioneering research and applications of optical engineering and laser technologies
  • 2002 for our world leading role in sports research, education and development
  • Honorary Graduates

    Notable honorary include:

  • Sir Steven Redgrave
  • Lady Ann Redgrave
  • Paula Radcliff
  • Dario Gradi
  • Sir Roger Bannister
  • Richard Branson

  • Sources

  • www.lboro.ac.uk
  • Personal experiences as a student at Loughborough