A guttural language spoken in Southern Africa. The language of the oppressor. It is based on a simplified form of Dutch called Kitchen Dutch and is useful mainly for swearing and elaborate insults.

OK, only kidding ... well, mostly kidding. I was forced to study Afrikaans at school. Afrikaans is spoken as a first or second language by millions of Southern Africans, and not just those of entirely European descent.

In The Old South Africa, the country's two official languages were English and Afrikaans. These days, South Africa has more official languages than you can shake a stick at, Afrikaans and English being but two, and the only two of European descent at that.


A couple of random facts:

Afrikaans is very much like Dutch, and shares a lot of vocabulary with related languages such as German and Danish. It's also similar in structure from English, another nearby language. Afrikaans is the most recent of the Indo-European languages, diverging from Dutch after circa 1700.

The letters Q and C are absent from Afrikaans, except for use in a couple of loan words that have not been transliterated. The role of Q role is usually taken by a kw combination. For instance, the Afrikaans spelling of Quagga is Kwagga. K is used instead of C for the more common hard sounds. The letter and sound S is used for the remaining soft C sounds.

The letter G in Afrikaans almost always denotes a velar fricative, a hard sound that is also found in Dutch, German and related languages, but is entirely absent in English, except for loan words such as loch and achtung. This consonant is often difficult (or just unpalatable) to pronounce for people who hear it for the first time as adults.