The granddaddy of first-person tactical games, clearly influenced many of the following games...

Airborne Ranger was a pretty interesting game, released in 1987 by the house of simulation kings, MicroProse.

You are a Ranger. You drop your stuff from the airplane, then leap after them, and quetly sneak to the enemy trenches. Quietly, like a ghost, running, crawling and walking in three sorts of climates (everything from temperate to arctic). Dodge mine fields. Shoot with your assault rifle with care (you can aim at many many directions, not just the traditional 8!), prefer to use the knife to silence the enemies. (You also can use a LAW launcher, hand grenades and, of course, time bombs!) Beware of bunkers full of enemies. Photograph secrets, steal code books, and rescue POWs. And get carried home...

This game was intense, probably one of the most interesting games before I got Metal Gear Solid and Operation Flashpoint.

Also one of the few games where the programmers and rest of the makers show their faces in opening screens. The game was designed by Lawrence Schick, programmed by Scott Spanburg, graphics made by Iris Leight Idokogi, and sounds were done by Ken Lagace. (This, of course, for Commodore 64 version (information from C64gg.com) - other versions had other makers, too, obviously...)