Years and years and years ago, just before I went to my confirmation classes, I saw this game in a second-hand store. My parents gave me 300 FIM for refreshments; After a rather interesting week of spiritual lessons, I bought the game with the 100 FIM I still had left. My first very own flight sim, about a classified cool stealth plane. Wow.

The game came on three 5.25" floppies, formatted for DOS 3.2 or something. I found one PC from my school - an old 286 with an EGA display - that was able to run the damn thing. Luckily, some classmate of mine had a cracked copy of the game that he provided me on a single 3.5" floppy. (Fair use, I guess.)

Here are some things I remember from the game:

  • It is one of the few games at the time in which it was possible to fly in Finnish airspace. Of course, since the terrain and graphics weren't that great, it didn't make that much of difference - but it was about the principle =)
  • Finnish place names were garbled somewhat (okay, so the damn amerikans can't spell the weird foreign names. big news.) I saw a place called "Sodanklya"... and noted one bug. I don't think there's a town called "graphics.exe", or anything like that, in Lapland =)
  • Yep, the damn thing flew like a frying pan. Then again, neither were the stealh planes at the time known for their excellent aerodynamical qualities.
  • In-game graphics rocked. It had interesting animations in case of losses and triumphs...
  • I even found a patch that made the ingame graphics and cockpit controls 256-color MCGA, and apparently got the AdLib music and sound effects to work at some time. Those things rocked.
  • The game didn't really need a frame limiter... it worked just fine on modern machines.
  • When flying in the skies of Central Europe, windmills had moving vanes! Excellent graphical details...