Blind (?), a. [AS.; akin to D., G., OS., Sw., & Dan. blind, Icel. blindr, Goth. blinds; of uncertain origin.]

1.

Destitute of the sense of seeing, either by natural defect or by deprivation; without sight.

He that is strucken blind can not forget The precious treasure of his eyesight lost. Shak.

2.

Not having the faculty of discernment; destitute of intellectual light; unable or unwilling to understand or judge; as, authors are blind to their own defects.

But hard be hardened, blind be blinded more, That they may stumble on, and deeper fall. Milton.

3.

Undiscerning; undiscriminating; inconsiderate.

This plan is recommended neither to blind approbation nor to blind reprobation. Jay.

4.

Having such a state or condition as a thing would have to a person who is blind; not well marked or easily discernible; hidden; unseen; concealed; as, a blind path; a blind ditch.

5.

Involved; intricate; not easily followed or traced.

The blind mazes of this tangled wood. Milton.

6.

Having no openings for light or passage; as, a blind wall; open only at one end; as, a blind alley; a blind gut.

7.

Unintelligible, or not easily intelligible; as, a blind passage in a book; illegible; as, blind writing.

8. Hort.

Abortive; failing to produce flowers or fruit; as, blind buds; blind flowers.

Blind alley, an alley closed at one end; a cul-de-sac. -- Blind axle, an axle which turns but does not communicate motion. Knight. -- Blind beetle, one of the insects apt to fly against people, esp. at night. -- Blind cat Zool., a species of catfish (Gronias nigrolabris), nearly destitute of eyes, living in caverns in Pennsylvania. -- Blind coal, coal that burns without flame; anthracite coal. Simmonds. -- Blind door, Blind window, an imitation of a door or window, without an opening for passage or light. See Blank door or window, under Blank, a. -- Blind level Mining, a level or drainage gallery which has a vertical shaft at each end, and acts as an inverted siphon. Knight. -- Blind nettle Bot., dead nettle. See Dead nettle, under Dead. -- Blind shell Gunnery, a shell containing no charge, or one that does not explode. -- Blind side, the side which is most easily assailed; a weak or unguarded side; the side on which one is least able or disposed to see danger. Swift. -- Blind snake Zool., a small, harmless, burrowing snake, of the family Typhlopidae, with rudimentary eyes. -- Blind spot Anat., the point in the retina of the eye where the optic nerve enters, and which is insensible to light. -- Blind tooling, in bookbinding and leather work, the indented impression of heated tools, without gilding; -- called also blank tooling, and blind blocking. -- Blind wall, a wall without an opening; a blank wall.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blind (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Blinded; p. pr. & vb. n. Blinding.]

1.

To make blind; to deprive of sight or discernment.

"To blind the truth and me."

Tennyson.

A blind guide is certainly a great mischief; but a guide that blinds those whom he should lead is . . . a much greater. South.

2.

To deprive partially of vision; to make vision difficult for and painful to; to dazzle.

Her beauty all the rest did blind. P. Fletcher.

3.

To darken; to obscure to the eye or understanding; to conceal; to deceive.

Such darkness blinds the sky. Dryden.

The state of the controversy between us he endeavored, with all his art, to blind and confound. Stillingfleet.

4.

To cover with a thin coating of sand and fine gravel; as a road newly paved, in order that the joints between the stones may be filled.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blind (?), n.

1.

Something to hinder sight or keep out light; a screen; a cover; esp. a hinged screen or shutter for a window; a blinder for a horse.

2.

Something to mislead the eye or the understanding, or to conceal some covert deed or design; a subterfuge.

3. [Cf. F. blindes, p., fr. G. blende, fr. blenden to blind, fr. blind blind.] Mil.

A blindage. See Blindage.

4.

A halting place.

[Obs.]

Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blind, Blinde (?), n.

See Blende.

 

© Webster 1913.