Con*tract" (?), v. t. [imp. & p.p. Contracted; p.pr. & vb.n. Contracting.] [L. contractus, p.p. of contrahere to contract; con- + trahere to draw: cf. F. contracter. See Trace, and cf. Contract, n.]

1.

To draw together or nearer; to reduce to a less compass; to shorten, narrow, or lesen; as, to contract one's shpere of action.

In all things desuetude doth contract and narrow our faculties. Dr. H. More.

2.

To draw together so as to wrinkle; to knit.

Thou didst contract and purse thy brow. Shak.

3.

To bring on; to incur; to acquire; as, to contract a habit; to contract a debt; to contract a disease.

Each from each contract new strength and light. Pope.

Such behavior we contract by having much conversed with persons of high statir. Swift.

4.

To enter into, with mutual obligations; to make a bargain or covenant for.

We have contracted an inviolable amity, peace, and lague with the aforesaid queen. Hakluyt.

Many persons . . . had contracted marriage within the degrees of consanguinity . . . prohibited by law. Strype.

5.

To betroth; to affiance.

The truth is, she and I, long since contracted, Are now so sure, that nothing can dissolve us. Shak.

6. Gram.

To shorten by omitting a letter or letters or by reducing two or more vowels or syllables to one.

Syn. -- To shorten; abridge; epitomize; narrow; lessen; condense; reduce; confine; incur; assume.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*tract" (?), v. i.

1.

To be drawn together so as to be diminished in size or extent; to shrink; to be reduced in compass or in duration; as, iron contracts in cooling; a rope contracts when wet.

Years contracting to a moment. Wordsworth.

2.

To make an agreement; to covenant; to agree; to bargain; as, to contract for carrying the mail.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con"tract (?), a.

Contracted: as, a contract verb.

Goodwin.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*tract" (?), a. [L. contractus, p.p.]

Contracted; affianced; betrothed.

[Obs.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con"tract (?), n. [L. contractus, fr. contrahere: cf. F. contrat, formerly also contract.]

1. Law

The agreement of two or more persons, upon a sufficient consideration or cause, to do, or to abstain from doing, some act; an agreement in which a party undertakes to do, or not to do, a particular thing; a formal bargain; a compact; an interchange of legal rights.

Wharton.

2.

A formal writing which contains the agreement of parties, with the terms and conditions, and which serves as a proof of the obligation.

3.

The act of formally betrothing a man and woman.

This is the the night of the contract. Longwellow.

Syn. -- Covenant; agreement; compact; stipulation; bargain; arrangement; obligation. See Covenant.

 

© Webster 1913.