The advice I’m about to give is only based on what I know. As a young elementary student, that isn’t too much. Maybe you’ll think I’m dumb, maybe the advice seems too out there. I’m just hoping to help at least one person out there. And it’s not just a BS title, it is real in many cases. Sometimes overused, yes.

If your child chants inappropriate language you should encourage them to use other words like, “Dang” or, “Shoot”. If your child is between the ages of 5-10 and does this, start out with talking it over with them in privacy. If they continue to do it around 5 days after, it’s time for serious business. This next piece of advice is for all ages (even adults!). The next time your child or anyone in your family has a doctor appointment, bring your difficult child with you. Then, at an appropriate moment, tell your doctor about your difficult child (don’t let your children hear you) and ask your doctor if they may have Attention Deficit Disorder, or ADD. This is treated by taking medication, usually in the morning and sometimes around lunch everyday. By doctors these are called medication or by their brand name. Ritalin is a common one.

Most children call them “Meds” or just “The Pills”. It is recommended that these pills be swallowed with a drink, or with a scoop of ice cream. I know because I used to be considered ADD. Sometimes I still use the medication. Mine is to help me calm down, to concentrate, and mainly to help me get good grades in school. There are many reasons to take ADD pills: to calm down, to concentrate, to get good grades, not to cuss, and to make good decisions. There are many different reasons, but those are the most common.

I recommend that if your child goes to public school, get the medication that your child must take once at breakfast and once at noon. That way, your child will be embarrassed to tell their friends and teachers why they have to take medication. This embarrassment can help. Sooner or later, your child will realize that it’s not worth it. They will continuously tell you the medication doesn’t work, or that they refuse to take it. If they refuse to take it, hide it in their cereal or just make sure they take it. Soon, your child will begin to make good decisions on their own. To make sure they are good on their own with out any medication at all, you should give them a break from “Meds” for at least 6 weeks. If you start to see good decisions and actions, your child might no longer need to be considered ADD.

You should keep an extra bottle of “Meds”, in case your child needs them again. You should probably try the break after at least 8 months of medication. This is the route that I took, and it worked. Of course you should consult your doctor before carrying any of this out in your specific case. Also keep in mind that doctors are hesitant about trying things that haven’t been tested plenty. This experiment won’t harm your child, so I think it would be a good thing to try.

If your child still shows bad signs during the break, keep them on medication. If your child shows irritations, rashes, or any other health problems and you think it’s because of the medication, contact your doctor and/or School Nurse. This disorder, at least in part, deals with imbalances in chemicals. This will take time to cure. A part of it is the child’s attitude too, and that’s the part that I think this will help with. Give them a chance to prove themselves.