Wyandottes are a heavy, medium-build hen breed bred for both meat and egg production. Their skin is yellow, their wattles and combs are red (or "rosy"), their eggs are brown, and these days they have a few different recognized coloration patterns.

Originally, the breed was called the American Sebright chicken, but it was renamed in 1883 during its acceptance into the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection in honor of the native Wyandot people. The exact origins of the breed are unknown, but it has been suggested they have been developed from the Dark Brahma and Spangled Hamburgs.

The first recognized color of the breed was the Silver Lace coloring: white or gray coloring, but with feathers trimmed in black, giving them a lace-like appearance. Since the development of the Silver Lace Wyandotte and its subsequent acceptance into the APA, breeders have developed other recognized coloration, the second most popular being the Gold Lace Wyandotte.


Some examples of coloration and patterns include:

Blue-Laced, where the trim around the edges of feathers is white or silver, and the inside of the feather is colored.
Colombian, which don't look much like other Wyandottes, but have the yellow skin, body shape, and brown eggs.
Partridge, which have not only the trim around the feathers, but another bar within the feather, giving it a kind of jaguar-spot look to it. These can come in gold, red, and silver variations.