I Wear the Black Hat is a book by Chuck Klosterman which attempts to supposedly grapple with villains and villainy. Having not read any of Mr. Klosterman’s book previously, I found his style rather readable although I could easily see how it would be a turnoff to different audience with less interest in pop culture.  Even the term circulatory doesn’t do the book justice as the entire second chapter is entirely devoted to bands the author hated when he was younger with zero tie in to his larger theme.  But in his wanderings Chuck does find some interesting nuggets, such as how history remember Niccolo Machiavelli, not as a “profound democrat” but as the creator of a step by step guide on how to amorally dominate one’s political surroundings. It is here where we have presented the closest thing to a thesis, “the villain is the person who knows the most but cares the least.” For some reason, a sizable chunk of pages are devoted to Bill Clinton and the Monica Lewinsky scandal which I found somewhat unnecessary, except for this wise pontification: “expressing outrage over a president’s lack of honesty is like getting upset over a sniper’s lack of empathy: it’s an integral component of the vocation.” In the beginning of the book, the reader is made to believe that possibly Mr. Klosterman is going to somehow attempt to analyze himself under a lens-of-villainy however no such attempts occur. The book ends rather abruptly. 

 

2013