I am a Japanese boy. I am living with my sister in a guest house belonging to my grandma. My uncle lives in the main building. I walk across the garden with my sister, laughing. We play Nintendo in Grandma's tatami room. Eventually, she tells me it's getting late and it's time to go back to the main building. I head outside to watch the fireworks, but it's a cloudy night tonight and I can't get a good view. I go back to Grandma's to get my shoes so I can walk down the street. Something is wrong. The room is dark. Why would it be dark? Then, my uncle attacks me. He's trying to kill me, with a knife. But I'm faster than him. I get it from his hands and stab him. I grab my shoes and run outside.

Our little island, home to just a hundred people at most, is pulling away from the main island as if being on a motor. The night is dark and the fireworks are distracting the main island from the horrid, occult thing that's suddenly happening. I quickly realize that all the adults on the island are plotting this, and my sister and I-- all the children, in fact-- are in terrible danger. Even the shadows seem dangerous. I run outside and through the narrow Japanese alleys. I sneak into a yard and hop through a neighbor's window. He knocks me out and ties me up in the bathroom. But his bonds are too weak. I break free just as he opens up the bathroom door. I attack and stab him through the heart with an apple slicer. I whip out my cell phone and call my sister. "My little brother's sick," I say. "He won't be able to go with you."

"Careful," she says. "If the brother is sick the sister can be too." I realize that I am not safe here. I hear a noise upstairs. No time to lose! I run back to the bedroom and jump out the door. They might shoot at me in the yard. I hope they don't have a gun and if I just make it to the fence...