Here's the pie crust I always make, and it works like a charm for me. It's all you want in a pie crust: flaky, golden, and tasty. Be sure to read the handy tips above, though, if you've never made a pie crust before.

What you need for a single pie crust (multiply as required):

  • 1-1/2 cups (360 ml) unbleached flour
  • 1/2 tsp (2-1/2 ml) salt
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into chunks
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) shortening, chilled and cut into chunks
  • 4-6 tblsp (60-90 ml) cold water

What to do:

Combine flour and salt in a bowl or food processor. Add butter and shortening and combine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs, using ten 1-second pulses of the food processor or, if in a bowl, a fork or two knives and patience.

Turn out of food processor into a bowl (or it's already there) and add water, one tablespoon at a time, stirring well after each addition; after 4 tablespoons, try squeezing a bit of dough in the palm of your hand; if it holds together, it's fine; if it crumbles, add another tablespoon or two if necessary.

Turn the dough onto a clean dry lightly floured work surface, gather together into a ball, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let it rest in the fridge for an hour. (sneff suggests forming it into a disk instead so it warms up faster when it comes out.)

After at least an hour (more if you've got stuff to do), remove the dough from the fridge. It should be malleable so you can roll it out easily without it cracking; if necessary, let it warm up a bit first. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface or between two sheets of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to form a thin disk large enough to fit in your pie plate.

Transfer the dough to your pie plate by rolling it around your rolling pin and then carefully laying it onto the pan; try not to stretch it, but just ease it into the pie plate. Use a sharp knife to cut off any excess that hangs over the edge of the pan, and if the dough tears, moisten the tear and patch it with a piece of excess dough.

Yay for pie!