I was sitting at the local tavern last night, nursing a couple of after work cocktails with a couple of buddies of mine. One of the televisions was inexplicably turned to Fox News where Neil Cavuto was doing his usual hatchet job on the events of the day. He got to talking about the latest headline grabber and expressed his opinion (and, in a strange way], my own) about how this was indeed, the actions of the few that took away from the actions of the many. He then went on to interview a soldier and his family who had recently returned from Iraq. After tossing up some questions about all the good work that was being done, he offered up one along the lines of “I bet you can’t wait to get back to your unit?”

The gentlemen looked a little puzzled. He then replied that, no, he wasn’t looking forward to going back and that anybody who was probably a little nuts. His family didn’t say a word.

Apparently, this wasn’t the answer Cavuto was looking for. Thank you for your time, fast- forward to commercial.

A couple of moments later, we were blessed with the dour face of Brit Hume who brought up the whole John Kerry medal fiasco, he then paraded a group of Vietnam era veterans who proceeded to call into question Mr. Kerry’s past service record (all of which is public and available for viewing at http://www.johnkerry.com/communities/veterans/service.html, which is more than can be said of a certain President).

My buddy, an ex-serviceman like myself, looked at me and said something along the lines of…

“Hmm, John Kerry, Silver Star, Bronze Star, three Purple Hearts, two tours of duty in ‘Nam. George W. Bush, the only silver he got was a couple of dental fillings while serving in the Texas Air National Guard, the only bronze he saw was probably the footrail from atop his barstool and the only purple he caught a glimpse of was probably from the inside of a bordello in Vegas."

My buddy is a wise, wise man…