Part VI of Here's the thing about losing a limb (part V here)

Ralph is bored and anxious at the same time. He has a window looking outside but it is over the parking lot. He can't see much, a few houses beyond that. He can't stand television all day. The bed is uncomfortable. He plays with the buttons, can raise his feet, then his head, then both.

His phone rings. He stares at it and picks it up. It is tan and has a wire into the wall and no cradle. Nasty looking.

"Hello?" he says.

"Hey, it's your fellow lock up."

"Dr. T." says Ralph. "How long are we in for?"

"Don't know yet," says Dr. T.

"Did they draw gallons of blood on you too?"

"Oh, yes," says Dr. T.

"No arm loss?" says Ralph. Dr. T's voice holds irony and humor. It's comforting.

"Nope. And I am not glowing."

"Huh," says Ralph.

"First labs are back and all look normal. There are a bunch that will take longer."

"Is my cholesterol good?" says Ralph.

"They don't check cholesterol for infection. You have to come back to me for that."

"After we get out," says Ralph hopefully. "In two days I am supposed to meet a buyer."

"Buyer?"

"Muzzle loader. 1868 Hawken rifle. I have two, so I am selling one. It's in great shape, stock is pretty as hell."

"Oh." says Dr. T.

"You don't know if we'll be out?"

"No. They are looking for your arm. Are there any other bars you went to?"

"Oh, man. I hope they find it." Ralph tries to remember. "I went to the Starburst, and only had one there. Then I think I went right to the Last Resort. I don't drive with two. Sometimes I walk around some, so I guess they could check with the Black Riot and the bar in the hotel. The Standish."

"There's a bar in the Standish?"

"Yeah. Not bad. They have good scotch. The bartender really likes it."

"Ok, I'll tell the team. Ralph, how much drinking does it take for you to not remember."

Ralph frowns. "Really, I haven't done that in years. I was kind of jet lagged still and a little loopy. The first drink whacked me more than it should have. Figured I shouldn't drive after another. Used to be once I got to six or eight, things got a little blurry, maybe."

"How often do you go to South Africa?"

"Been three times. I always try to go to the International scene, thirteen years now. I went two years before that but then I missed a year."

"So the convention moves around."

"Yeah. My guns are pretty well known now."

"Uh-huh," says Dr. T. "So you don't think you drank six drinks?"

"Nah," says Ralph. "I'd really feel like sh--, uh, hell in the morning plus my doc wouldn't like it. Doc, they want to go in my house!"

"The team? Yes, I know, but they are going to look for the arm first. If they can rule out infection, you can bring us springhare samples. Are you still glowing?"

"Heck yeah," says Ralph. "My right hand is brightest. Feet next. And um, well, uh,"

"The tips of extremities?" says Dr. T. His voice is formal now.

"I don't want anything else gone." says Ralph.

"I agree with you." says Dr. T. "No trouble urinating?"

Why don't doctors say pee? thinks Ralph. "No."

"And hands, uh, hand working fine?"

"Yes."

"Cross your fingers. We will see."

Iron 2023: 10

Springhare hunting here.
Houston zoo: here.