Send Away The Tigers - Manic Street Preachers (Released May 2007)

Within the first few seconds of the opening title track,it is already sounds like a completely new band to that who made the confused Know Your Enemy (2001) and unsure sounding Lifeblood (2004). Send Away The Tigers barely relents from the moment the guitars crank in on said title track to end of secret track Working Class Hero. It bursts with spirit,so much so that lead singer James Dean Bradfield is often out of breath by the time he reaches the chorus.

The lyrics too have a new political focus in places,similar to the Manics of yesteryear, on tracks such as Imperial Bodybags and Rendition. Whether this is successful is a matter of judgement,and the less said about Autumnsong the better. The lyrics also seem to reflect the band coming to terms with themselves,with thoughts about their newly rediscovered popularity and success (Indian Summer) and an ode to the devoted fans (Underdogs). The almost militaristic riffs that chug along underneath the lyrics make everything sound much bigger than it is; as well as a good dose of strings.

Whether this is a return to form (with a number 2 chart position) or just a return to the commercial radio friendly formula of previous albums Everything Must Go (1996) and This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours (1998) which many fans dislike,remains to be seen. However,from listening to this,the band has come alive again,feeling better than ever - and that can only be a good thing.

Best track: The Second Great Depression

Grade: A-