Ah this old chestnut. I must admit I'm not a zealot for either side in this debate, but I have some experience.

I have a general interest in hifi, that is, I try to keep up with the news, and like to think I can appreciate the good stuff. I myself own a Nakamichi Soundspace 8, which although made by Nakamichi, is a 'lifestyle' system. I use it mainly to listen to CDs, and record them onto minidisc (via an optical cable to my Sony MZ-R90 portable).

I personally think CDs sound great. I personally think Minidiscs sound great.

Maybe I don't have so called 'golden ears', or even decent hearing, but they sound just dandy to me. Conversely, my job has required me to examine and test many of the MP3 players on the market. I've listened to high bitrate MP3s on all sorts of portables, and through a decent sound system on the test PC. And I can hear the difference. It simply doesn't sound as good in my opinion.

As a contrast, my job has also required me to attend hifi trade shows, where many hundreds and thousands of pounds worth of hifi gear was mine for the fiddling.

I remember attending a demo in an Audio Freaks booth of some turntable or other, that looked like a prop from Wild Wild West (it was covered in bits of piping .. bizarre) and cost something like twenty grand.

This was hooked up via cables that looked like they belonged at the bottom of the ocean to a set of speakers so impressive I wept. Even though they were playing Dire Straits of all things, I had to admit I was blown away.

I heard many absurdly priced CD decks that day as well, including the Linn range, and the simple fact is that the vinyl sounded better.

But like I said before, I can't really hear the difference between a CD and a Minidisc in a blind test, so maybe I'm not the best authority on this.

I guess my point is that I won't buy an MP3 player because I can hear the difference, whereas I'm perfectly happy with my Nakamichi and Minidisc. In truth the Nakamichi is 'too good' for my ears, it's more than I need, but dammit I got my grades at A level, and that was my reward to myself.

If you are unhappy with the sterile sound of CDs, fine .. buy vinyl. There's enough of a specialist market in DJs and audiophiles to keep 'em coming for the forseeable future, so buy them, and quit whining .. I prefer SNES games to most PC games (it's the graphics .. ) but you don't hear me preaching ..